Friday, May 23, 2008

Behind every camera is an...exhibitionist?


As you my friend can see, the title happens to be the subtitle of this blog. Now why so? I recall reading one such article in Popular Photography or something that explores the psychology of photography. Without getting all Freudian on anyone, it does seem to be the case. Thinking about my own motivations of shooting, I pondered on why I shoot. Most of my stuff will never see the light of day, or at most shared amongst close friends. And yet why do I even show them at all. Afterall, if its a hobby and stress relief I might as well leave them for my own enjoyment. Many say that like all visual arts its a form of self expression. Self Expression? Perhaps a little oxymoronic come to think of it, express to whom? Of course, some may argue that it doesn't make every photographer an exhibitionist, afterall we don't take photos of ourselves and show to the world a la Edison Chen (for those of you whom might not have known, google Edison Chen and scandal;-) ). Why do we show then? Somewhere deep down inside of me is a sense of the need to escape...mediocrity....to be seen, known and recognised as someone... a sense of self assurance that you as an individual is definitely different from the rest of the herd, that you are special. Sometimes I question the need on why do we really take photos? Posterity? Or just to fulfil a need to exhibit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


My site is worth

$13,192,728,198.
How much is yours worth?